Thursday, November 6, 2008

Genuine Truth is Grounded in God's Reality

I've been thinking a lot lately about "feeling" close to God. Aida had a great discussion about it here: http://forgettingtheformerthings.blogspot.com/2008/10/seeking-god.html.

I thought that I had left my old religious baggage behind until this week, and I've realized that it is still hiding in the corners. I picked up one of McVey's books that I had in my car and read this:

"Having been born into a world system in which every religion known to man stresses his responsibility to stay in favor with his god through specifically defined behavior, it requires a radical paradigm shift for most Christians to move into a mind-set that embraces the idea that our behavior has absolutely nothing to do with gaining or STAYING IN God's favor. To suggest that there is nothing the believer can do that would put him out of favor with God sounds almost blasphemous to the religious mind. Most of us who grew up in church KNOW BETTER than that, do we? Therein lies the problem. Often as much must be UNLEARNED as is learned about walking in grace as a believer. Theologian Krister Stendahl astutely observed that 'it is not so much what we don't know, but what we think we know that obstructs our vision.'

One significant barrier that prevents many people in the modern church from enjoying a life in grace is what they THINK they know. They are firmly entrenched in a paradigm of spiritual reality that to them is self-evident, however imaginary it may actually be. Without divine intervention, the religionist will never experience grace to its fullest extent. Recipients of grace must have a heart and mind that are open toward God, and nothing so decidedly shuts down one's capacity to receive as empty religion."

Excerpt from Grace Land by Steve McVey

1 comment:

Aida said...

John, I'm not sure how I missed this post but I'm just reading it now. Thanks for linking to my blog.

I agree with you. I believe a lot of what's accepted in religion is based on illusions that lack reality. However, some people are willing to fight and argue to maintain their illusions even when shown truth.

I think you're right on when you say that the only thing that will open them to truth is divine intervention. I can't convince anyone of truth. I've come to the conclusion that the only thing I can do is develop my relationship with God and give them freedom to follow him as he makes himself clear to them.