Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Echo of Edification

Edification comes in various forms and can be sent out and received by us in various ways. Sometimes it ricochets further along and touches other's lives. Sometimes we might see how it works -- sometimes we won't.

Other times it can reverberate like an echo between mountains. (And perhaps, just like an echo, it fades over time and gets weaker. Perhaps, that is why we need it on such a regular basis - the resonance wanes and fresh fire must be lit.)

I've just experienced how it can also echo back and forth between two people.
I say this because of a meeting I had with a truly great saint I had the honor to spend some time with this week. I had left thinking I was the one refreshed. I sent him an email thanking him for this time.

I want to share a small part of what he wrote:

It was refreshing for me this morning/afternoon. At times I get cynical and God sends an eager individual my way (usually out of nowhere) and my spirit is renewed. I thank Him and you for that.

THAT in turn renewed me AGAIN!

THIS is edification's echo.

7 comments:

...and Enide said...

I love the fact that you recognize someone you know as a saint! For me at least, it is easy to remember saints in heaven--but easy to forget that they were saintly on earth.

I've been reading a set of Anglo-Saxon saints' lives for the past few weeks. It's really struck me that the work for saint is actually just the adjective for holy (halig) used to describe a person. And each of the lives refers to its subject as a saint during the saint's own lifetime. It's so cool to remember to admire and emulate holy people living in our own time.

Speaking of which, your diligence is very inspiring to me. Thanks for reminding me to keep seeking the Truth! We're still praying for you.

...and Enide said...

'Work for saint' is obviously supposed to say 'word for saint.' Sorry!

Joel Brueseke said...

What a great example of how edification takes place in various forms, and often without us even knowing it. How many times does this happen and we don't even know it.

To Alison,

I don't remember when it struck me, but it was pretty cool when I noticed that the Apostle Paul addressed his letters "to the saints at..." whatever church or body he was writing to, and in many other cases referred to 'live' Christians as saints.

By the way... I see the same last name, but two different countries. Are the two of you related? (Hope you don't mind me asking). :)

John Fincher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Fincher said...

(Had to delete my previous comment because of a spelling error)

Joel,
Alison is my way-smarter-than-me genius niece that got her BA from GWU and is getting her Masters from Oxford in Old English.

I got my BA in History from Georgia State. Where's the prestige in that? ;-)

...and Enide said...

The prestige is in the fact that you worked really hard, overcame some incredible obstacles, and paid your own way the whole way. THAT is prestige!

And I don't think anyone who taught himself Biblical Hebrew can knock his intelligence!

...and Enide said...

Besides, a genius niece wouldn't have to run back from getting her laundry out of the washer that she'd typed the wrong ancient language. Greek! Biblical Greek! ;-)