Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

John Ortberg on spiritual growth, "Spiritual growth, in a sense, is simply increasing our capacity to experience the presence of God."

After I read this this morning, I started thinking about it and its implications. We are told that we will bear fruit and my former church would say that we are measured by our fruit. I would ask them where is THEIR fruit from all of the activity? Where are all of the souls being saved at every invitation? Where are all of the new members from the weekly visitation? Why is the world not beating down the doors in order to get in?

They might say that we can't really measure the fruit of their labors, and I would say EXACTLY. WE judge by externals - numbers, appearance, etc.

I like seeking Father better than the busy-ness I used to be in bondage to.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Fruit is nothing more than the result of intimacy with Jesus. It isn't something we DO; it's something we BEAR. We are not DOINGS but BEINGS!

He initiates; we respond.